Monday, January 7, 2008

Welcome to Nunavut, now go home!




Awhile back, we got into some trouble over what we had written on our blog. In a meeting with our superior we were told that we are visitors here and that we should behave as such. After the adrenaline wore off from the meeting, it hit me. Visitors? Visitors!? I couldn’t believe what I had heard. Did he really say that? A glance at my notes confirmed it. I know that we live amongst people of another culture and that qallunaat are the minority in the north. But are we not still in Canada? I was born and raised in Canada. I am Canadian. Nunavut is in Canada, no?

What the dilly?

Almost 3 years ago I saw a job opening. I applied for the job. I got the job. I moved. I work, live, pay taxes, and vote in Nunavut. I left my life in the south to live here. To LIVE here. And it doesn’t matter how long I live here. One year, 5 years, 10 years – as long as I live here I am not a visitor. I know we won’t live here forever. This might be our last year, I don’t know. But that shouldn’t matter. If I moved to Alberta for 3 years would I be a visitor there? Would I have to watch what I say so as not to upset the Albertans? When Inuit move to Ottawa are they visitors? No way! So WHY am I a visitor here?

Since that meeting, other things have irritated me. One of them being when someone asks “Are you going home for Christmas?” I’m guilty of it too, don’t get me wrong, and I kick myself every time I make that error. The other thing that bugs me is when kids ask me where I live. I point to the house and they say “No, I mean where do you really live?” The fact that the kids also see us as transients hits me. I can, however, understand it coming from them. They have seen so many qallunaat come and go, after all. But from an adult? It didn’t hurt; it made me angry.

So I genuinely want to know. Can someone explain this to me, please? Is it because we live in a territory protected by a land claim agreement and since I’m not a beneficiary of that agreement, that makes me a visitor? I guess I could sort of see that explanation. But if I am called a visitor just to protect the sensitivities of NLCA beneficiaries so they don’t think this land is anything less than theirs… is there any question?

- J.M.

11 comments:

Larry said...

If not welcome, I can at least say that I'm tolerated. Probably the best I can expect, even after 37-years.

After the first ten years, people stopped asking "when are you leaving". So at least I don't get that anymore!

However, I think it may be more a case of that "small-town mentality" rather than some racial motivation that's at work here. Some parts of Canada, those with their own distinctive culture, have the same attitude. In Newfoundland they'd refer to you as a "come from away" for example, and it probably wouldn't matter how long you live there. Quebec the same, at least for an Anglo.

However, I do agree that we should not be thought of, or consider ourselves, visitors in any part of our own country (except as tourists, of course).

Also, remember that the Inuit have title to less than 20-percent of the land. The rest belongs to all Canadians jointly.

It's interesting to note that it was your supervisor (I'm guessing he/she is white) who put the visitor label on you. I find there are a lot of lily-livered civil servants out there who would do or say anything to appease and curry favour with the majority, at your expense.

It's possible these idiots are more hung-up on the "visitor" thing than the locals.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Every time I'm asked that question "where do you live" I point to my house as well and get the look of "no dumb ass, where do you really live, as in your Southern home?". Well... I don't exactly have a southern home anymore. Sure my parents still live down south and there will always be a couch or a tent with a sleeping bag for me to crash on/in, but I now LIVE in Nunavut. Nunavut is my HOME. Will it always be my home, who knows... don't quite know where this journey will take me.

The kids here that I work with do ask frequently "how long are you here for?", "when are you leaving?". And I know that they do not mean this in a bad way, they are genuinely curious (maybe even concerned?) that the qallunaat that is teaching them might not be here next year, or the year after. They are aware of this, as they see it happen every 2-3 years when the teacher turnover occurs.

Anonymous said...

I can totally sympathize here. Though I agree with Larry's point, I can understand how getting asked these types of questions can become quite irritating after awhile. I face the same thing myself. I think there is some kind of "tribe" mentality" at work. I know a couple Inuit staff who came here from other communities who were always thought as being from the other community and not from town here.

I'm not sure what the answer to this is. I have to admit it gets under my skin even though on one level I can understand some of the historical/social reasons for people asking "the question". I just tell people "Heck, even if I lived in London, Paris, Toronto, or 3 miles outside of the town I grew up in I'd still go home to visit my parents' at Christmas. Where I live has no bearing on my decision to see family and friends during the holidays.

Jaime said...

I don't really have anything original to say, I just wanted to agree that I hate being asked, "Are you going home for Christmas?" I have met people who have lived here for over a year and still say they "live" somewhere down south. There's so many people here who still think they're living somewhere else, no wonder those of us who believe we live HERE get asked questions. Some people here are way too homesick for their own good.

Anonymous said...

But there are SOOOO many people who say "I'm going home for Christmas" and mean the south. Most people from the south say this. So why not criticize them?

Also, I recommend blogging more frequently. Otherwise it is just a bore.

Anonymous said...

Good point. Come on, people, we do have something to say, don't we?

What do you think about the kid who steals snowmobiles because his father was kidnapped and sent to residential school and some bad cop shot his grandmother's dogs?

Is the high crime and suicide rate really a result of being colonized by us "europeans"? Or is there something in Inuit culture that makes them vulnerable in a modern world?

Or ... do you think we are all going to be named in a lawsuit one day for our part in the destruction of a culture? Don't laugh - it happened to the churches and the government of Canada - and nobody (well, almost nobody) had any idea they were doing anything wrong at the time.

We also have the GN to pick on - lots of good material there!

Anonymous said...

Good point anonymous - it bugs me when another southerner says this too, guess I didn't make that clear.

J.M. (the author of the post)

Anonymous said...

You've been nominated for a Nuni! What an honour! Now add a new post for goodness sake.

Clare said...

I couldn't find an email address, and wanted to let you know that Nunavut Uncensored has been nominated in the Best New Blog category in the "Nunies"

Anonymous said...

People probably ask you "the question" because you probably will be leaving soon (statistically speaking).

Don't be offended, even when adults ask. It's the adults who know more than anyone that chances are you will be gone in a year or two.

Zohara bat Sarah said...

I think that anyone not of Native origin is a visitor in North America. There is just a wide range of how recently and how Native land relinquishment has happened as to how much everyone is aware or ignorant of this situation.